Maine Campus Compact (MCC) is a statewide coalition of colleges and universities whose purpose is to further the public purposes and civic mission of higher education. MCC’s team of 10 VISTAs will develop programming that mobilizes college students to increase college aspirations in Maine’s K-12 youth with an emphasis on low-income students. The AmeriCorps VISTA position’s main objective is to create initiatives and provide support for at-risk (low income and first generation) students at the University and those participating in Early College programs. The AmeriCorps VISTA position at the University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI) is focused on expanding college access for high school students in Northern Maine, assisting at-risk students, supporting the University’s four-year completion initiative, and promoting community service activities. They will work with the Dean of Students on implementing projects such as college preparation programs, coordinating an Academic Coaching program for online and at risk students, developing a summer leadership program for new students, creating a mentor program, assisting with educational programs and awareness campaigns focused on college completion, and developing community service programs to encourage students to become engaged citizens and help build their potential to effect positive social change.
Member Duties :
* Assist TRIO programs throughout the academic year.
* Organize Aspiration Activities.
* Design and implement UMPI Day, a volunteer service day that serves the campus ad local community.
* Continue to access and implement improvements to the academic coaching model. * Design and implement the 2019 Summer Bridge Program
* Be an active member of UMPI4ME
* Create Community Service Program to enhance student community engagement and service learning on campus.
* Plan and implement UMPI Alternative Spring Break.
Program Benefits :
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Health Coverage
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Living Allowance
- Meal Plan
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits, please visit: http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare
- Permits working at another job during off hours
- Permits attendance at school during off hours
- Car recommended
Service Areas :
- Team Work
- Fund raising/Grant Writing
- Community Organization
- Public Speaking
|* Campus Compact – UMPI Early College Access Coordinator|
|Program Start/End Date|
|08/03/2018 – 08/02/2019|
|Work Schedule||Full Time|
|Minimum: 18 Maximum: None|
|From 05/01/2018 To 06/14/2018|
|51 Westminster St|
|Lewiston ME 04240|
Established in 1993, the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is a federal agency that engages millions of Americans in service through its core programs -- AmeriCorps and Senior Corps -- and national volunteer efforts.
CNCS is the nation's largest grantmaker for service and volunteering, and thereby plays a vital role in strengthening the nonprofit sector and addressing the most critical community needs. Our programs harnesses the energy and talent of America's citizens to improve education, veterans and military family services, conservation, and economic opportunity.