Financial Aid

Financial aid is money to help pay for college or career school. Aid can come from:

  •  the U.S. federal government
  • the state government
  • Bethel University
  • a nonprofit or private organization.

Most Bethel undergraduate students will file a free application for federal student aid through FAFSA. Just go to the FAFSA website to find an application and learn more about what you’ll need. We recommend you contact Bethel Financial Aid to learn the best methods to get the aid you need. We’re ready to help you.


Understanding Financial Aid
We realize that financial aid can be confusing. Here we give you the basics to help you further search for the information you need to help fund your education. The sidebar to the right lists helpful phone numbers, websites, and PDF files to download that will give you more in-depth information about each of your options.

Types of Financial Aid
There are 3 basic types of financial aid: grants/scholarships, loans, and work-study programs

The Bethel University Financial Aid Offices are available to answer your questions and give you guidance:
– 844-415-2151
– Veterans Benefits: 931-551-4150

Grants & Scholarships
Grants and scholarships are often called “gift aid” because they don’t have to be repaid.
Grants can come from a variety of different locations, most commonly the Federal and State governments. There are thousands of scholarships, from all kinds of organizations. You might be able to get a scholarship for being a good student, a great basketball player, a member of a certain church, because you work for a particular company, or for some other reason. Here is a list of some popular grants. Others are available.
Federal Grants:
• Federal Pell Grants
• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
• Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants
Tennessee Grants*
• Tennessee State Assistance Corporation Grant* (TSAC)
• Tennessee Hope Lottery* (HOPE)
* Only available to Tennessee residents

You may be eligible to receive student loans based on your financial need. Loans fall into 5 basic categories:
• Subsidized
• Unsubsidized
• Perkins
• Private
Complete your annual FAFSA paperwork to determine which type of loan is best for you. Your Bethel Financial Aid Counselor will help you with this step.

Work-Study Programs
Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study. Visit the Federal Student Aid website for more details.

Need-based vs Non Need-based
Each of these types of financial aid assistance is split into two categories: Need-Based and Non Need-Based. The type of financial aid a student receives is figured by cost of attendance and their Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the student’s FAFSA.

Undergraduate Students
#1 – Need-Based
• Federal Pell Grant (PELL)
• Tennessee State Assistance Corporation Grant* (TSAC)
• Tennessee Educational Lottery Scholarship* (TELS or HOPE)
• Subsidized Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized)
• Perkins

#2 – Non Need-Based
• Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized)
• Federal Direct Parent Plus Loan Program (PLUS)

Graduate Students
#1 – Need-Based
• These loans are not available for graduate student
#2 – Non Need-Based
• Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized)
• Federal Direct Grad Plus Loan Program

Getting Started
First, complete a FAFSA. This must be done annually. This is used to calculate your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) to determine the amount of PELL, TSAC, Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans you are eligible to receive. NOTE: TSAC is only available for Tennessee residents. You are encouraged to file your FAFSA as early as possible, since TSAC is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Have you been selected for verification? Watch this video to find out what that means for you.