Using your laptop or Chromebook, go to your Google Drive settings. Click the check box that says, “Convert Uploads”.
This feature enables you to upload files like Microsoft Word and convert them upon opening them.
Here is a list of the types of files supported by Docs, Slides, and Sheets.
- Documents: .doc, .docx, .docm, .dot, .dotx, .dotm, .html, plain text (.txt), .rtf, and .odt
- Spreadsheets: .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm, .xlt, .xlt, .xltx, .xltm, .ods, .cvs, .tsv, .txt, .tab
- Presentations: .ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .pps, .ppsx, ,ppsm, .pot, .potx, potm, .odp
- Drawings: .wmf, .emf
- Optical Carrier Recognition (OCR): .jpg, .gif, .png, .pdf
Files not supported
Some files are not supported during the conversion to Docs, Sheets, Slides, these files include:
- Files which are password protected
- Files that include macros
- Files that have embedded charts within Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Files that include linked spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel
You can save and export files to an Office format
Upon converting your files to Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides, you can save and export them back into an Office format.
- Open the file
- Click file menu
- Select Download as
- Choose the format you want to convert the file to