You can open and edit your files using Office Compatibility Mode (OCM). This feature enables the ability to open and edit Microsoft Office files in your Google Drive, the Docs, Sheets, and Slides homes screens & apps, and Gmail. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Open your Chrome browser using your laptop or Chromebook
- Download the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, & Slides Chrome extension
- Open an Office file and start editing
Check to see if you are using Office Compatibility Mode
- Open an office file
- Click File at the top left side
- If you see “Office Compatibility Mode” at the top of your menu, you are able to edit the file or save it as a Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file.